Per University of Oklahoma Regents’ Policy, all students enrolled in an OU Health Sciences Center program are responsible for maintaining health insurance and providing coverage information each semester of enrollment in their programs. A student who is found to be uninsured will receive notification from HSC Student Affairs and their academic dean’s office regarding lack of compliance and academic program, including clinical participation, advancement.
Beginning June 2017, all students enrolled in an OU Health Sciences Center program must submit alternate coverage information through the AcademicHealth Plans Waiver System by the enrollment deadlines respective to your program. To begin the waiver process, please select the link that best represents your status:
NOTE: Healthcare sharing groups do not meet the requirements for acceptable alternative health insurance. Membership in a healthcare sharing group will not be accepted for waiver approval.
Domestic Students Only: Select the appropriate link below to submit your waiver request:
College of Nursing
College of Dentistry
College of Medicine
College of Pharmacy
College of Allied Health
College of Public Health
Graduate College and Non-Degree Seeking Students
F1/J1 Visa Students Only:
Health insurance requirements have changed for OU HSC International Students.
Per Regents’ Policy, all students enrolled in Health Sciences Center programs are required to maintain coverage that meets the OU HSC waiver requirements and complies with the requirements of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). The OU HSC Student Health Plan (SHP) meets all of these requirements.
International students may apply for a waiver of enrollment in the OU SHP for any semester that the student:
1. Eligible for, and enrolled as, a participant in the OU Employee Group Health Plan, or other employer sponsored PPACA compliant group health plan;
2. Provides evidence that the student is eligible for, and enrolled in, ACA compliant individual coverage purchased through the Exchange (HealthCare.gov), or other ACA compliant individual coverage purchased from an insurance carrier that is based in the United States;
3. Able to establish that the student has coverage that is backed by the full faith and credit of the government of the exchange visitor’s home country and is provided through a PPACA compliant plan;
4. Sponsored by the US Government or another sponsoring entity that has guaranteed payment of all health expenses;
5. Enrolled exclusively in distance learning class at the institution.
Such a plan must provide coverage that, at a minimum (PPACA requirements):
1. Provides the Essential Minimum Benefits required by the PPACA with no annual limits;
2. Contains no exclusions for pre-existing conditions;
3. Covers 100% of preventive care and women’s care as defined by the PPACA;
4. Imposes an annual deductible that does not exceed $500;
5. Imposes no provisions for co-insurance that exceed 25% of the allowable charges under the plan.
6. Enrolled exclusively in distance learning class at the institution.
Evacuation/Repatriation Coverage for International Students must provide coverage for:
1. Repatriation expenses in the amount of no less than $25,000; and
2. Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the insured to the insured’s home country of no less than $50,000
If you have a plan that meets the medical coverage requirements but lacks the repatriation and evacuation coverage, you can purchase this coverage directly through AHP for waiver approval.
ALL DOCUMENTS MUST BE IN ENGLISH AND IN US CURRENCY.
F1 J1 Visa Students Click Here IF YOU MEET THE CRITERIA ABOVE
International Students who have been granted a waiver from coverage under the OU HSC SHP and lose coverage at any time during the semester for which the waiver has been granted must immediately report the loss of healthcare coverage by completing the ‘Qualifying Events Form’ located at https://ouhsc.myahpcare.com/enrollment. Failure of an International Student to maintain coverage as required under this policy is a violation of Regent’s Policy and can delay enrollment and program advancement.
If you have questions regarding your status, please contact OU HSC Admissions & Records at 405-271-2480.
If you have questions regarding the Waiver System, please contact Academic Health Plans at 888-924-7758 or HSC Student Affairs at 405-271-2416.